It only took five prototypes, but I finally finished a T that I feel good about, inside and out. Everything turned out exactly the way I wanted it. I still want to refine the serged seam finish, but I'm so happy with this that I'm ready to stop making T-shirts and think about my next project.Read More
Pillow cases and curtains are the easiest things to sew. Cut a rectangle (or two), sew four straight lines, and you're more or less done. Welted pillows and box cushions seem like they would be several orders of magnitude more difficult, but I surprised myself when I learned how to do both. They are super easy!Read More
Prototyping makes perfect. It takes a lot of extra time, uses up a lot of fabric, and requires a tremendous amount of patience. It is terribly unsatisfying to cut, sew, and repeat until the time finally comes to take a deep breath and commit to making whatever it is I've set out to make... and the results are GOOD. I finished T-Shirt #5 over the weekend (I'm even wearing it today) and am ready to make "the silk knit paisley print T-shirt" I set out to make months and months ago.
Let's take a look at what learned with prototype #5.Read More
Full disclosure: this is really my fourth T-shirt. I deleted the first three.
I'm a pretty good sewer, but I have learned that am not alone in my fear of knits. I've learned, too, that my fear is reasonable, and yet so easy to overcome! If you've been sewing wovens for years and years and then try to apply the same tried-and-true techniques to knits, it is very likely that you'll disappointed with the outcome. So I set out to learn a whole new skill set.Read More
My niece, Stella, is three and a half years old. Not only has she graduated from crib to bed, she's now ready for her own Big Girl Room. She's going to be a big sister in August, so this symbolic change needs to be special. Here's the concept in all of it's pink and yellow and seafoam glory:
I've been busy sewing up a cover for her window seat along with all kinds of crazy pillow covers. It was very satisfying to apply some basic embellishing techniques like ruching and ruffling to something that didn't need to fit, didn't need to be perfectly measured, and didn't have to be anything but a feast of happiness for a little girl. I was lazy, I made all kinds of little mistakes, and yet I couldn't be happier with how it all turned out.
This was probably the first thing I should have done when we moved in, but I didn't know what color it should be. I just knew I hated the "Bisquick Batter Yellow" color.
I finally took on painting the great room in February. I'm now five gallons of paint and two months in, including one false start in the hallway with a shade of gray that was just too pale (see earlier post). The final choice is called Dorian Gray. It's a Sherwin Williams color, not too blue, or too green, or too greige. I am too short to reach the top 3', so I either need to rent a taller A-frame ladder (no way am I doing this on an extension ladder) or we need to hire someone to finish the rest.
Here are some "before" and "in progress" shots with the false-start gray -- which was lovely in the entry and hallway, but you can see that in bright light it was anemic next to the slate tile around the fireplace.
Here's a two hour project that turned into six because 1) I didn't have enough fabric, and 2) there was a lot of trial and error selecting a trim from my fabric sample & scrap pile. But I'm very glad that I save those scraps! I still need to top stitch around the edges of the dot fabric.